The National Association of Realtors recently released a study titled ‘Social Benefits of Homeownership and Stable Housing.’ The study confirmed a long-standing belief of most Americans:
“Owning a home embodies the promise of individual autonomy and is the aspiration of most American households. Homeownership allows households to accumulate wealth and social status, and is the basis for a number of positive social, economic, family and civic outcomes.”
Today, we want to cover the section of the report that quoted several studies concentrating on the impact homeownership has on the civic participation of family members. Here are some of the major findings on this issue revealed in the report:
- Homeowners have a much greater financial stake in their neighborhoods than renters. With the median national home price in 2015 at $223,900, even a 5% decline in home values will translate into a loss of more than $11,195 for a typical homeowner.
- Because owners tend to remain in their homes longer, they add a degree of stability to their neighborhood.
- Homeowners also reap the financial gains of any appreciation in the value of their home, so they also tend to spend more time and money maintaining their residence, which also contributes to the overall quality of the surrounding community.
- Homeowners were found to be more politically active than renters with 77% of homeowners saying they had at some point voted in local elections compared with 52% of renters.
- There seems to be a greater awareness of the political process among homeowners. About 38% of homeowners knew the name of their local school board representative, compared with only 20% of renters.
- There is a higher incidence of membership in voluntary organizations and church attendance among homeowners.
- Homeownership does create social capital and provide residents with a platform from which to connect and interact with neighbors.
- Owning a home means owning part of a neighborhood, and a homeowner’s feelings of commitment to the home can arouse feelings of commitment to the neighborhood, which, in turn, can produce interactions with neighbors.
People often talk about the financial benefits of homeownership. As we can see, there are also social benefits of owning your own home.
*Next Thursday, we will report the study’s findings on the impact homeownership has on a family’s health.
Realty Solutions Group was built around a simple but elusive concept: provide brokers and clients with the highest level of service in the industry through cutting-edge sales, marketing programs and a culture that values innovation, relationships and a strong local focus.
In less than 5 years, Realty Solutions Group is among the top independent brokerage firms in S/E Wisconsin.
As a locally-owned, independent company, Realty Solutions Group is deeply committed to supporting the communities and clients we serve. We are constantly evolving, but remain focused on that one simple idea behind our founding.
We are a full service brokerage with discounted commissions. We offer no long term listing contracts, a Performance Guarantee, Smart Seller Program and a Communication Guarantee. Contact us today and let us provide you with the very best real estate experience.
Powered by WPeMatico