The National Association of Realtors recently released a study titled ‘Social Benefits of Homeownership and Stable Housing.’ The study confirmed a long-standing belief of most Americans:
“Owning a home embodies the promise of individual autonomy and is the aspiration of most American households. Homeownership allows households to accumulate wealth and social status, and is the basis for a number of positive social, economic, family and civic outcomes.”
Today, we want to cover the section of the report that quoted several studies concentrating on the impact homeownership has on educational achievement. Here are some of the major findings on this issue revealed in the report:
- The decision to stay in school by teenage students is higher for those raised by home-owning parents compared to those in renter households.
- Parental homeownership in low-income neighborhoods has a positive impact on high school graduation.
- Though homeownership raises educational outcomes for children, neighborhood stability may have further enhanced the positive outcome.
- Children of homeowners tend to have higher levels of achievement in math and reading and fewer behavioral problems.
- Educational opportunities are more prevalent in neighborhoods with high rates of homeownership and community involvement.
- The average child of homeowners is significantly more likely to achieve a higher level of education and, thereby, a higher level of earnings.
People often talk about the financial benefits of homeownership. As we can see, there are also social benefits of owning your own home.
*The next two Thursdays, we will report the study’s findings on the impact homeownership has on civic participation and a family’s health.
Realty Solutions Group was built around a simple but elusive concept: provide brokers and clients with the highest level of service in the industry through cutting-edge sales, marketing programs and a culture that values innovation, relationships and a strong local focus.
In less than 5 years, Realty Solutions Group is among the top independent brokerage firms in S/E Wisconsin.
As a locally-owned, independent company, Realty Solutions Group is deeply committed to supporting the communities and clients we serve. We are constantly evolving, but remain focused on that one simple idea behind our founding.
We are a full service brokerage with discounted commissions. We offer no long term listing contracts, a Performance Guarantee, Smart Seller Program and a Communication Guarantee. Contact us today and let us provide you with the very best real estate experience.
Powered by WPeMatico